Top 18 Interesting Facts About Indian Railways
Indian Railway has a rich heritage of about 150 years that has crossed many tracks and limits to realize milestones. Today it has grown to be the lifeline, the backbone of the travel industry in addition to the lifeline of the nation.
It has witnessed commendable success before now and is considerably contributing to the financial progress of the nation.
Here are a Top 18 interesting facts about Indian Railways that have eventually contributed to making the Indian Rail community one of the largest in Asia:
- The first passenger train began between Mumbai and Thane on April 16, 1853.
- Parsik Tunnel is the primary rail tunnel within the nation.
- The first underground rail system began in Kolkatta.
- In the yr 1986, the primary computerized reservation system began in New Delhi.
- The first electrical train ran between Mumbai VT and Kurla on February 3, 1925.
- Indian Railways is taken into account to be the biggest employer with about 1.55 million people employed within the operations.
- In the yr 1977, the National Rail Museum was established.
- Dapoorie Viaduct is the primary railway bridge ever created.
- On common Indian rail carries about 13 million passengers and 1.3 million tonnes of freight day by day.
- Orissa is the shortest station title whereas Sri Venkatanarasimharajuvariapeta in Tamil Nadu is the longest station title.
- Indian Railways is understood to have about 7000 railway stations between which about 14,300 trains run each day.
- The longest train journey is roofed by Himsagar Express that connects Jammu Tavi within the North with Kanya Kumari within the South. The train travels a distance of about 4751 km and the journey takes about 66 hours.
- The longest platform is about 2733 ft in size and is located in Kharagpur.
- The longest tunnel is Karbude located on Konkan Railways is 6.5 km lengthy.
- The quickest train is the Bhopal Shatabdi Express which runs at a velocity of about 140 km/h.
- Longest Railway Bridge is Nehru Setu about 10044 ft in size on Sone River.
- Siliguri Railway Station is the one station with all three gauges.
- Howrah-Amritsar Express has the most variety of halts with 115 halts.
read our article Top 10 Family Fitness Facts and Myths ( 5 surprising facts )